|Cartagena: home of Marquez (cheap in January)|
- Carole King's seminal album Tapestry celebrates its 45th anniversary and a PBS documentary explores its legacy as one of the best-selling albums by a female artist. I just turned 45 too, and this album is one I remember always having around as a very young kid. I remember that the record had all these panels you could open up with images of King's self-knitted tapestry in addition to the iconic one her sitting in a window with a cat.
- Literary agent Molly O'Neill is on the hunt for new authors!
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez's speech accepting his Nobel Prize for Literature, the Solitude of Latin America. I just spent two weeks in his hometown of Cartagena where his presence is everywhere.
- A slideshow which illustrates the cheapest months of the year to fly to various destinations including Boston, Melbourne, Hong Kong and Buenos Aires. Pack your bags: it's cheap now to fly to Hawaii!
- A new imprint of Groundwood will focus on children's books that feature diversity. Sorely needed in Canada.