Friday, September 30, 2011

Maurice Sendak

The elderly author has a new book coming out, the first that he's written and illustrated in nearly 30 years.

Two of his recent interviews that I've come across really strike me as reflecting his unique and down to earth personality (this in spite of or perhaps because of his fanciful and fantastical writings). In the Globe and Mail interview, this charming exchange that seems to suggest that he doesn't have time to waste on stupid, banal questions:

You must have faced a lot of pressure to write kiddie books over that time.
No. Out of sight, out of mind. This is America.

and:

Do you still feel dangerous?
No. I’m old, Anybody who wants can push me over.

and:

I notice there’s no iPad edition of Bumble-Ardy on its way.
And there never will be, if I have anything to say about it. When I’m dead, I won’t have much to say about anything.

Some of his answers strike me as a man who is very conscious and accepting of the end of his life not being far off. Sad but this also allows him the rare opportunity to say what he thinks without worrying too much about the consequences.

The recent interview with Fresh Air's Terry Gross really hit an emotional chord with me and in a few spots, I caught myself starting to tear up at how raw his emotion is.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment