Saturday, June 18, 2011

Alfonsina Storni

JOURNEY

Tonight I look at the moon
white and enormous.

It`s the same as last night
the same as tomorrow.

But it`s foreign, because never
was it so huge and so pale.

I tremble like
lights tremble on water.

I tremble like
tears tremble in my eyes.

I tremble like
the soul trembles in the body.

Oh the moon has opened
two silver lips

Oh how the moon has spoken to me
these three ancient words:

"Death, love, and myster..."
Oh my flesh is nearing its end.

Above the dead flesh
my soul becomes confused.

My soul - a nocturnal cat -
rises up over the moon.

It travels through the enormous sky
crouched low and sad.

It travels through the enormous sky
up over the white moon.

     --Alfonsina Storni (1892-1938) Translated from the Spanish by Jim Normington

No comments:

Post a Comment